Unitarian Internet Fellowship Forum Index Unitarian Internet Fellowship
National Unitarian Fellowship www.nufonline.org.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Faith as a Unitarian No 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unitarian Internet Fellowship Forum Index -> My Faith as a Unitarian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanwilk
NUF President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: My Faith as a Unitarian No 1 Reply with quote

The first Viewpoint of the series:
My Faith as a Unitarian should be with all NUF members by now. For others it is now available in Pdf on the NUF website:
http://www.nufonline.org.uk/NUF2015/pdfs/VP245.pdf .

The outline of the project is given in the Introduction so I won't repeat it here.

The first contributor of the series, is Naomi Linnell. I do hope people will read and comment as we go along.

The piece is beautifully written and offers an insight into one Unitarian's faith now, but developed over many years. What I found so moving is the depth of religious experience taken as a whole. Both intellectual rigour and an openness to mystery give a holistic perspective which is positive.

It was also reassuring that Naomi was able to find a home within the Unitarian movement, especially drawing on the diversity of the various groups and diversity of people. Acceptance of diversity but finding the right place to express and share her Non-Subscribing Christian Faith has been a crucial aspect of what it means to be a Unitarian for her.

Being able to appreciate 'life as a spiritual journey that I make through a constantly changing landscape' (P10) seems to express what religious life means for many Unitarians.

Naomi entitled her piece:

In My End is My Beginning (T S Eliot from 'East Coker). is pertinent to the whole piece, pointing to the way the past is not discarded but is part of the religious journey of us all, whether we reject or remember and re-interpret it within the context of our adult life. Events return to us once more but in some way they become fresh as we unpack what for many years have been pushed to the hidden depths of our life.

There is so much more to comment on but I will leave some space for the thoughts of other readers.

With Love
Joan
Nick
NUF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you to everyone involved in this project, which compliments the Vision work being organised by the General Assembly.

The three questions in the introduction take us straight to heart of the dilemmas currently facing the Unitarian movement and that sets quite a daunting backdrop to the contributions to follow.

It is always a treat to read somebody's spiritual journey, especially a friend from the same Fellowship I belong to. Naomi's enthusiastic and committed life in the Anglo-Catholic church of her youth had creed, doctrine and dogma "overcome by enquiry and reason". And yet, rather than reject the whole experience of religion as do so many others, there was enough left to inspire a continued search until a new home was found in the Unitarian movement. I wonder how many of us have parallels to this story, I certainly do. An early life in the religion of our parents. Ancient creeds and theology coming up against a blossoming intelligence. Inflexibility in the Church causing us to make difficult choices about whether to remain & campaign for change from within; or leave and find a new home.

Naomi's life story of her religious faith contains such a wealth of experience, and expresses the self-reliance of somebody who is in a 'congregation of one'. In the context of the first question - What does it mean to be a Unitarian? - there is a hint that Unitarians are self-starters, well read and equipped to make a free journey of faith under our own authority and responsibility. Thank you Naomi for sharing your religious life story with us to kick off this exciting series of articles, I'm really looking forward to reading the others and hopefully a good follow-up discussion too, here on the Forum, in the Viewpoint and the resulting e-book.

Blessings and love to all,
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautifully written and inspirational piece, and I'm sure many of us see elements of our own lives and outlook in Naomi's words. I'm a great believer that you are not born into a particular faith, but you grow into one. After reading Naomi's contribution my beliefs are confirmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unitarian Internet Fellowship Forum Index -> My Faith as a Unitarian All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: